Sunday, November 15, 2009

The 90's According to Skybox

Just when I thought I was done sorting the ugliest set of cards ever conceived...
I entered the weekend of sorting 1990's Skybox and realized I was wrong. Granted, this is the only truly ugly set of the lot but it sure takes the prize. Yup, those computer generated stripes really bring the game to life...or if not it's bound to give some former flower children acid flashbacks. And don't get me started on the short-shorts. They speak for themselves.

The 90's gave us many things, the least of which was tall hair. Did this sideways-do0 by Armon Gilliam drive anyone else crazy 18 years ago?
Aaahhh, and then there's the 90's uniforms. I recall hearing a quote by Charles Barkley saying that these Sixers uni's look like "something my 4 year old colored". I can see why these haven't made an appearance in a throwback game.
But with the bad came the good. These Denver road stylings might be my favorite uniform of all time. Definitly better than the baby blue's they're sporting these days. That rainbow city setting is iconic.
Have these goggles made an appearance since the days of Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, and Buck? These were a GREAT look! Bring back the goggles!
Wow. What can I say. That's dedication to a look...of some sort. Are those pearls he's wearing. And we can thank Skybox for memorializing this fashion road kill on a basketball card for all history and posterity. Someone will dig this up at an archeological site 1000 years from now and think that this is how we all dressed. And they won't be entirely wrong.
Haven't seen an "X" hat since 1992. And what on earth is that shirt all about?
monobrow- mon-oh brou - noun - see below:
And here I thought Johnny Depp starred in Cry Baby...
What could possibly have been so exciting in a game against the Clippers. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment